Here are ten things you can do to help keep you safe and pain-free while using digital devices:
Try these easy steps for comfortable computing:
- Take a break from typing/mousing/scrolling – five minutes break for every 30 minutes of work
- Move around during those breaks – stand up, walk, stretch
- Make sure top of monitor is at eye level – stop looking down
- Don’t pinch phone between ear and shoulder – get a headset
- Don’t sit on feet or cross them or legs under desk – plant feet flat on floor when typing
- Don’t rest wrists, forearms, elbows when typing/mousing/scrolling
- Bring mouse as close to side of body as possible – don’t reach out for it
- Sit all the way back in chair – use the backrest
- Relax fingers while typing, eg, are you doing ‘tea-drinking’ pinky finger?
- Get some exercise every day. It doesn’t have to be terribly strenuous or painful, but do something to get your blood moving.